YouTube is now the second most popular site in the entire world, so it seems to be a bit of a no-brainer that marketers are flocking to it to try to gain customers. Video marketing has been on the rise for the past years, growing even more popular and accessible for brands.
Any subject that you can think of has video about it published on YouTube. From van life to physics, movies to food preparation.
But what is it about YouTube that is so amazing?
- The total number of people who use YouTube – 1,300,000,000 – which is almost one-third of Internet users.
- YouTube is a fertile marketing ground for men – while female users are 38%, male users are 62%.
- Almost 5 billion videos are watched on Youtube every single day.
- YouTube gets over 30 million visitors per day
- In the age range 18-49, 8 out of 10 people will watch something on YouTube each month.
- 6 out of 10 people prefer online video platforms to live TV.
- The total number of hours of video watched on YouTube each month – 3.25 billion.
- 80% of YouTube’s views are from outside of the U.S.
- YouTube reaches more 18-34 and 18-49 year-olds than any cable network in the U.S.
- The number of hours people spend watching videos (aka watch time) on YouTube is up 60% year-over-year, the fastest growth we’ve seen in 2 years.
- You can navigate YouTube in a total of 76 different languages (covering 95% of the Internet population).
- YouTube has launched local versions in more than 88 countries.
- 9% of U.S small businesses use Youtube.
YouTube and Mobile
- The average number of mobile YouTube video views per day is 1,000,000,000
- The average mobile viewing session lasts more than 40 minutes. This is up more than 50% year on year. People are watching more on mobile than ever before.
- More than half of YouTube views come from mobile devices.
- YouTube’s mobile revenue is up to 2x y/y.
- While 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute, only 10,113 Youtube videos received more than 1 billion views.
- Approximately 20% of the people who start your video will leave after the first 10 seconds. So make sure your first ten seconds are awesome.
- The number of advertisers running video ads on YouTube is up more than 40% year on year.
- For Youtube top 100 advertisers, the average spend per advertiser is up over 60% y/y.
YouTube Company Financials
- Since 2007 YouTube has paid $1,250,000,000 to rights holders.
- Google paid $1,65 billion for YouTube in November of 2006.
- Partners revenue is up 50% y/y for the last 3 years.
- The highest paid Youtube partner is Daniel Middleton – DanTDM with annual income reaching $16.5 million for 2017.
- The youngest YouTube star Ryan ToysReview who is 6 years old made $11 million in 2017.
- The number of channels earning six figures per year on YouTube is up 50% year on year.
How can a savvy marketer take advantage of YouTube?
Build videos around a single keyword/topic
This is crucial if you want to get the maximum amount of viewers. You can use a keyword tool like KeywordTool.io, which is specific to YouTube, to search for relevant keywords.
Picking a keyword prior to making your video is necessary so you focus on that topic when creating your content. It also helps you to remember to include the keyword organically in the content so it can be found by YouTube when closed captions are added.
Once you’ve chosen a keyword, check the top ranking videos for that word to make sure you are targeting the right market.
Reformat existing content
You can use blogs, white papers, tutorials and guides that you have previously written to create content. Not everything has to be brand new. People searching YouTube are specifically looking for video, so they are less likely to have already seen your content in its other formats.
Engage with your Audience
YouTube rewards channels that have high levels of engagement with their audiences – likes and dislikes, comments, overall time spent on channel and watch times all go into the algorithms.
Try to respond to every comment you receive, and make sure you prompt your audience to like your channel and leave a comment with not only audio prompts (the speaker asking for engagement) but also video prompts (words on the screen).
Promote on other Social Media Channels
Drive traffic from Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Pinterest, as well as your own blog.
Post Great Thumbnails
The thumbnails you post can have a huge impact on the number of times your video is watched. Make sure yours stands out from the crowd. This will improve your click through rate (CTR).
YouTube is a growing medium for advertisers and marketers – take the time to create great content, brilliant hooks (for your first ten to twenty seconds) and standout thumbnails, and you, too, could be part of the YouTube revolution.